Monday, May 18, 2009

Mush Race!~


This morning when I got Ethan out of bed he asked me to make him Cream of Wheat for breakfast. It has been over a year since I have made that. I just hate the little grainy things everywhere. We made it though and it actually sounded pretty good to me too. Once we were all set up at the table for our yummy breakfast I told Ethan about when I was a kid and we would go to my Grandpa's house for 'mush races.'

Grandpa was amazingly fast at eating mush. Grandma would set up two bowls of Cream of Wheat for Grandpa and whoever was challenging him. It didn't matter what time it was or whether or not he had just eaten, Grandpa was ALWAYS up for a mush race. We'd sit up to our bowls and Grandpa would reach into his wallet and pull out a bill. I'm not talking a $1.oo bill like the one Ethan and I raced for today, no no, he'd pull out the biggest bill he had! I think it was my cousin Shelby who raced for $100.oo!~ Anyway, he obviously was never planning on anyone beating him in a mush race. Occasionally though someone would. Ethan wasn't really into it and I won my dollar back. It was a fun memory today for me though.

So here's my question to all my cousins.... How much was the most you or someone in your family raced Grandpa for? What's the most you won?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

My mom always added a little bit of powdered chocolate like Quik, and sugar, and topped with half and half... yummy...

Cindy said...

I can't believe your grandpa would put that kind of money out. I tell you what. I would be training for the mush race with that kind of cash involved. And I would love to still do our knitting night idea! Orem's not that far away.

Mikey Peterson said...

I think he dropped $100 for me once. I was a pretty sure bet. I think he cheated cause he always put so much half and half in his so it was cold...while ours was piping hot. Cheating...or pure genius?