Saturday, May 28, 2011

Another Week Goes By~

I've been thinking a lot this week about all of the changes we have gone through as a family and I think that I haven't had as good of an attitude as I should. I really am over-the-moon happy about having Victoria in our family and I hope that when I vent or complain about certain things it isn't misunderstood in any way.

This week I had the unfortunate opportunity to spend a night 'out of town' with Ethan. My friend lost her 6 year old son, James, this past week. It was a tragic accident and really affected me and Ethan. We were able to find people to help with the kids at home and we drove to be there for the viewing and the funeral. I really enjoyed my time alone with Ethan to visit and play just the two of us. It was a bit interesting to me that when I told Victoria the night before that I was leaving for a funeral her first response was, "you coming back?" Man, that really hit me. She isn't used to having parents 'come back' for her. I told her of course I was coming back and she seemed satisfied. It was interesting though. She was interested in when I was leaving and if I'd be home before she went to bed. I left her a note on her bed that google translate helped me write.

Ethan and I had a great drive. We talked about all sorts of things. One of the harder topics was that this was his friend and now he is dead. He was really his friend's younger brother who Ethan was also friends with and Ethan was concerned with what he should say to his friend when he saw him. He also was sad to think that someday he could have his brother die too. Pretty heavy driving topics for a Mom and an 8 year old on a road trip. We decided that he didn't have to worry about what to say or what to do, but that whatever he did would be perfect. He had a hard time at the viewing and really needed to just be with me to get out his emotions. He kind of went a bit nuts because he couldn't really express what he wanted to. It was almost too much for him to even understand what was happening.  He was really excited for us to go out to dinner together.  He loves our alone time almost as much as I do.
The next day he just wanted to play in the pool before the funeral and that was great. He is so friendly to other kids. He made friends with the other family who was there and shared his pool toy. He makes me so proud! The funeral was inspiring and touching. My friend is one amazing woman. I left there feeling like a better person and renewing my goals to be a little better everyday.
This past week was the last real week of school. I came home and immediately had Mason's school 5K the next day.   This is Mason's great teacher..  We 'ran' with her a lot this race.  She is another amazing lady.  I tell you, Mason can find the most amazing people to surround himself with!
Ezra thought that was awesome, but my plan to have him ride on Mason's wheelchair backfired completely. It was a long (and not quite complete) 5K for us! Mason loved it though. The school hopefully earned a lot of money for their technology goal. 
This was how we started the race....
This was how Ezra invisioned the race going...
 Along the way there were plenty of piggy back rides and tantrums thrown...
 We made it though.  Ez was one proud racer.
I think that the best news was that Victoria and the rest of the boys were happy to see me and glad that I came home!~

3 comments:

Rachel said...

We were so sad about James. His uncle Sam is Troy's best friend. When Sam called and told us what had happened we were so devastated for Joe and Laura and their family. Laura really is amazing though. I'm glad you could go to the funeral. I'm also glad that things are slowly falling into place with the new situation at home!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That breaks my heart for you and for them.

Diana said...

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss and how it affected your family. I'm sure you were able to have some good conversations, albeit difficult ones.

I love Ezra on the wheelchair! We do that ALL the time, but they often get tired of it, too. Becca loves it a little too much sometimes and can't stop touching them or pulling hair. :D

And by the way, you sound like a completely normal Mom of a teenager! ;D