What a crazy weekend!~ Honestly I am freaking out over summer. I normally am so excited for the kids to be home and for the sun and the time to play with friends and do all sorts of summery things. Not this year! I have a daughter who follows me around telling me that she is bored ALL DAY LONG!~ I am not joking or over exaggerating about this one. It is seriously all day. The SECOND she finishes eating her dinner I get, "Mom, me-scoochna" i.e. "Mom, I'm bored." arghhh! Honestly we need a hobby.
I was a bit concerned about Memorial weekend and it could have been worse, but it was a headache. We went to a few movies this weekend at the dollar theaters and that saved us. Thank heavens there is at least one activity that all four of my children can agree that they enjoy. The best part is that they all agree on the movie choice.
On Monday we started the freezing morning off headed to the cemetery where my grandpa on my dad's side is buried. It's a big gathering of aunts and uncles and cousins so I decided to take Ethan and Victoria. Ethan was excited about going until Victoria started complaining. That is my biggest pet peeve currently - my younger kids behaviors regressing and copying her! She taught Ezra how to throw a temper tantrum and how to tell me "no." Not cool. Anyway, Ethan got all grumpy about going until I told him that I'd stop and get them drinks at the gas station. That is a very rare thing around here and really pumped him up about coming along. It was so cold that I honestly wasn't looking forward to spending a lot of time there, but I was happy that the timing worked out that we could go this year. Once we left and were driving things were fine. She was content listening to that blasted phone of hers and that one headphone she has. It is so irritating to me to finally understand the frustration of having a teenager wanting to be 'plugged in' all the time. It was a pretty long drive, so I figured I'd give her that. I would interrupt her and try to chat with her. Ethan ended up riding there with my parents and my grandma so it was just the two of us.
She has this thing lately where she pretends she is an animal when she is frustrated by something. (That is irritating too.) But lately when we ask her to do something she makes the sound like a horse so we have called her a Victoria horse. When we passed a pasture of horses I got all excited and shook her to get her attention saying, "look!! It's you!" She laughed and got a bit more interactive. She saw another field of horses and said, "mommy, it's my friends!" Maybe one of those 'you had to be there moments' but it was funny. She was very nice and willing to meet anyone I introduced her to. Thank heavens. That one can go either way usually!



3 comments:
We brought Alex home similar in time frame to you and Victoria. He had a month of school and then summer. I think he was bored ALL summer long. And I was so done with him. I would dread him waking up in the morning. I think they are use to being surrounded by children their own age and then of course they had all those camps and field trips? I don't know. I just know it was exasperating that he was so unhappy and expected me to entertain him all summer.
Alex still struggles with having to be "plugged" in or in front of a screen zombied out. My other teens do too but not to the compulsion that he has.
I think the animal sounds sound hilarious but I know that would drive me crazy in about...a minute?
At least you can joke about it?
Maybe teach V to bake bread? Amy Rast does that with her daughters and they've started their own business selling loaves to their neighbors? Maybe knitting or heaven forbid....English lessons? We got all the newly adopted kids together weekly with a tutor that first summer. Just an idea...
PS Your pictures are always fabulous. Do you have a great camera or are you just skilled that way?
LOL I love the horse thing! Maybe it was just funny to me after having heard you tell me what she does with the animals. :) Awesome.
I think you're right on with the hobby idea! Movies would transition well into the books the movies were made from. Maybe books on tape at first to listen to the English is probably easier than reading it at this point. Do you have Moms that 4H in your area? There's sewing and cooking and gardening activities there. Your County Extension office would have that info. (Are you Utah County? I am and have been meaning to figure all that out, I could let you know.) :) Journaling or blogging could be fun... you'd have to make an "English AND Russian" rule and have her write it in both. Even if it was google translate at first, it would be cool for her to express herself and decide what to share with others. How about photography... since she LOVES to have her picture taken! ;D She might like being on the other end of the lens.
P.S. I love meeting up with family at the cemetery! In Tooele, where Geoff is from and where we lived for so long, it's like a town party and you see all kinds of people to talk to. :)
Post a Comment