Monday, March 26, 2012

Mason's Bike~

For the last 6 months or so we have really been trying desperately to get Mason a bike.  This is not the same thing as getting any other kid a bike.  I test drove several bikes last year and finally found one that I thought would be good for Mason.  Once we decided on the bike that would work for him there was the matter of paying for it.  You see, a bike for a kiddo like our sweet Mason runs around $4100.  That isn't typically an amount of money we have sitting in our checking account wondering what to spend it on.  The same students who so generously set up the 5K to fund raise for Victoria took it upon themselves to try to get funding for Mason's bike.  They (and we) posted the fund on our facebook accounts and they looked for grants we could apply for.  I applied through Angel's Hands and they were able to help us.  With the help of our friends and family we were able to raise half of what we needed to buy this bike for Mason.  The day it shipped I was so happy I could hardly stand it! 

We put it all together and drove him around our limited space in our house.  It was pretty freezing when we got it so we were hesitant to take him outside yet.
I decided that he would get more use out of his bike if we sent it to school.  They could use it during PE or recess.  They sure have used it.  The most amazing thing is that Mason can actually peddle himself around.  He laughs and giggles and loves every second he gets to ride his bike.  It is so great for him to have something active he can do.  I am so grateful to everyone who helped us in our efforts to get our Mase this amazing bike. 

No comments: