I have to say.. today was a tough day. I am finally starting to sleep past 6 am and I’m sure it is because of daylight savings time. We got up and Spencer went into full packing mode. I wasn’t really ready to just pack him up. I’m really struggling with the idea of him leaving me tonight.
One of our bags we brought was full of items to give to the children and to the orphanage so Spencer had plenty of space to pack anything we felt I didn’t need. We made sure I had extra space for anything that I Victoria may want to bring home. From what she is saying she has a fair amount of stuff to bring home. We’ll see what is better to just leave for her friends though. A conversation for another day!
Once packed and ready to leave, we headed out to run some last minute errands for Spen. He printed some things from the business center at the InTourist Hotel. They were very nice to let us use it, but it was pretty funny how they hovered (trying not to be obvious) waiting for us to finish up so they could lock the door when we were finished.
We changed money and went to the grocery store. A very productive day around here! Last week was a holiday week for the kids so we could visit longer hours and they were given much more freedom. Today things were back to towing the line. We came after school hours and Spen was good to get us into the Cantina (cafeteria) to play our card games and talk rather than enter the ‘den of chaos!’ It was a nice change. This is a decoration on one of the walls in the Cantina..
One of the Cook’s kids came over to us and asked when his parents were coming back to get him out of here. I refuse to promise days and times for these kids so we just told him they were coming back here next week. I’m really wondering if Nan and my schedules will be almost identical with taking the kids. I have decided to have her stay in the orphanage until we have settled the majority of her paperwork so that when we leave there we leave straight for Kyiv.
We had some fun games of California Speed, Spoons, Golf, and the Russian Fool.
I left at one point to use the restroom and Spencer had a chance to have a little heart to heart with her before leaving. He was pretty broken up about leaving her there. It was so touching to see. He loves having his little princess! We left and I hadn’t really thought it through that taking Spen to the train station would be a horrible way to send him off. So, we said our goodbyes at home. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have loved being here with him. I know that time will pass quickly and I will be fine, but I really just miss him already. I am a cry baby and have cried a lot. Hopefully I can pull things together before I head back to the orphanage. We decided to take tomorrow off and just go every other day. I hope that works out OK.
Some pictures I took while I was giving Spencer a chance to chat alone with Victoria before he left. This is the main hallway when you first enter the orphanage.
For now I have spent more time visiting with my family on skype and I am now not regretting the books and knitting supplies I kept! I am going to have a lot of time on my own to just pass in the next few weeks!
Spencer took the small camera we had left with Vika when he left to take to Paris with him. That meant that I got to get the pictures she and her friends have been taking! I am posting several of them of her with her friends. I think they are darling and I am so glad she will have them.
P.S. I know I am in so much trouble with how incredibly gorgeous she is! Her first item of business when she gets to America is to cut all of her hair off though... Spen is not coping well with that request!



















4 comments:
I can't help but read every word about your whole experience, Kerry! I am amazed/surprised/in awe of how this whole process is going. You must be emotionally and physically exhausted - geez!! Our family is keeping yours in our prayers. Good luck in the coming days by yourself - you are such a strong and incredible mom and a great example to me.
Another great post. Each post shows your daughter smiling a little more each time. It's all starting to sink in and she's looking forward to it. The observation about the mother can be true where you might take a big brunt of the frustration she had with birth mom (it's part of the healing process), and sometimes you will have to control those healing moments a bit, but with time she will grow to trust you with her heart of hearts. :)
It's amazing that she's taking a liking to Spencer so soon. That took quite a while for me and my girl, as she has been abandoned by her dad. I got a little of that 'healing process' too.
Spencer and Kerry, I am right there with Whitney! I can't help but read EVERY word that you write! I can't think of two more amazing people to be her parents! You are amazing and SO full of love! I am praying for things to move along quickly and you can bring her home to her family asap :c).
Good luck and keep us posted :c).
I love that you added her to the side bar:) How exciting that it is official!! I'm glad that you and Kim will have each other in the coming days. Those pictures of her with her friends are so sweet. We will continue to pray for you. Happy knitting:)
Post a Comment