Monday, March 28, 2011

Third day of our Waiting Period ~ Day 18

Last night was daylight savings here so we lost an hour. It is never fun for me to have a time change, but for some reason it was even harder for me while being here! I think I just really liked being only 8 hours from some of the kids and 9 hours from another. Now we are back to a 9 and 10 hour difference.


Last night I had a tragedy with my white down coat and it really had to be washed, glad I brought at least a jacket! We met the Golling’s at the InTourist hotel to begin our walk to get to church. It was a cold and windy day and I really was wishing my coat wasn’t dripping wet!

We left pretty early since none of us really knew where we were going. I’m glad we did leave early though because it took us an hour to walk there. It was fine because we were on time!
One of the Elders translated for us again. It’s interesting how they were explaining that the 2 missionaries who spoke were easy to translate because they all know the same ‘church vocabulary’ but the native Russians speak a different vocabulary and half of what they are saying doesn’t make much sense! It was just something that I can’t really even relate to and very interesting. The meeting was great and I’m really glad we made the effort to be here. The other families all stayed for the entire 3 hour block but we had to start our walk back to get home for our driver to get us to the orphanage.
We went to the orphanage by ourselves today. Spencer is leaving tomorrow and wants to spend his last two days with Victoria. They have really bonded well. He’s really great with her. I mostly am the one that all of the other kids come to and ask for the fun. It really was overwhelming to me today. Artoym came back today and we played cards. The trouble happened when I got up to take a picture. I wasn’t really ‘allowed’ to go back to just playing. I was swarmed! It was friendship bracelets and paper and scissors and gum and all sorts of jumping and spinning. Artoym told me that it’s a hard thing to do, but I just need to say “no” to the kids. I shouldn’t let all of them decide what I am doing while I am here. I’ve had to say ‘no’ to some of them because I just don’t have the time to make 30 bracelets and I just can’t spin with everyone! Now I am trying to be more firm. Yana was telling me how difficult it is to not be just controlled by the children when you are here. I understand that completely. It’s hard for me to have to be in that position. With Spencer leaving I have to really be there to visit Vika now, not the rest of the kids! It’s all so overwhelming. I love so many of these kids and just want to do whatever I can to help them know that they are worthwhile kids and someone thinks they are great.
This whole day was very emotional and overwhelming for me. The most yet I think, which really is saying something. I really enjoyed having Artoym there to visit. He is such a great guy. When he left he had Yana tell me that he couldn’t find the words to say what he wanted to say to us. He knew when he first met us that we were good people, but he had no idea that we were such good people. He is glad to get to know us and to know his sister will be with us. He was very sweet and is trying so hard to find their other brother to come see her before we leave next week. He also explained that he is asking his boss to be allowed to get out of work early a few days this week to come and see us again. Spencer said his goodbyes and he left as he will not see him again.
As I mentioned, Spen and Vika are getting along very well. They had sort of an English lesson before we had to leave. She is doing very well. She can already read our alphabet and read words. Being in a country where we can’t read any of the signs because the alphabet is so different – that is quite an amazing accomplishment already. Spencer is having a hard time leaving us. Leaving her behind and me alone! We made a delicious dinner and stayed in talking and watching movies. We were able to skype with both Ezra and Ethan tonight. I missed seeing Mason. He can sure put a smile on our faces. Ethan told Spencer how excited he is to get to see him in a few days. I’m sure that helped Spen want to get home as fast as possible.

6 comments:

steph said...

It is so great to hear that she has such a caring, kind brother. Even though you're technically adopting only Vika, it looks like you have some new extended family, too:) I can't imagine what being around all those other kids must be like. It puts a knot in my stomach just thinking about them all wanting attention and love. You are a great person to be willing to play with them so much and to love them. They'll always remember that nice lady from America that made bracelets, spun with them and who took lots of pictures! I'm glad there are other families for you to be there with. Take care!

steph said...

p.s. just noticing that in the pic of you all playing cards that Vika is smiling with her teeth showing! that's the first pic I've seen like that :)

steph said...

p.s. just noticing that in the pic of you all playing cards that Vika is smiling with her teeth showing! that's the first pic I've seen like that :)

Wendy said...

I remember so well when James left. I was so torn, I wanted to go home too but didn't want to leave my boy. I had kids at home going to prom, having birthdays, stomach flu, the works! Yet, I had one here that I felt I couldn't leave. There were many silent tears streaming down my face thinking about my babies at home and each day of the ten days seemed so much like the day before.
Is it possible to take Vika off the premises? We did a lot of walking and looking at shops. It sounds so rural and different from where we were though. I guess I didn't know I should have been grateful for our dirty, run down city with lots of dollar like stores that smelled funny?
I could also walk to the orphanage from my apartment, another thing I wasn't grateful for until I learned you all travel NINETY minutes to get to yours!
Hang in there. Like my mother always says, "This too shall pass. Like a kidney stone, but it will pass!"
Great pictures! I know a fun game you can play with Uno cards and kids of all ages, email me if you'd like instructions!

Julie Kaye said...

I love the pic of her that you added to the list of your family!

Diana said...

Thank you so much for sharing all of this! It has become the highlight of my day and I just love all of your beautiful pictures. She is so beautiful and just 'fits' your family. What a treasure for her to have and to be able to read about what happened from your perspective someday. To know that you went that far and did all of these things you'd never done before... all for her.