This past Saturday we had the opportunity to go to the National Ability Center. It was quite an amazing experience for our family. I was very emotional watching my kids, and mostly Mason participating in things that are not very easy for him to do. They have adapted all of the activities for special needs. Mason LOVED this place. He was a bit leery of the rock wall at first, but we just had to spend some time getting over the echoing room.
They put him in a harness and started to pull him upward. He was startled by the sensation at first, but then he started to giggle. The rest of the family was at home attending other events for the first half of the day. I am so happy that they were able to meet up with us for the second half!Once he got going, Mason really didn't want to come down. He was having a great time. It was such a different sensation for him I'm sure!
After the climbing wall we went to a big teeter totter thing and had to balance our entire group on a platform while our 'guide' sang "row, row, row your boat" the entire way through. It was pretty funny. Mason loved when we couldn't balance and crashed on either end. Hilarious. Then we walked over the the draw bridge thing. We had to cross with our eyes closed. It was a lot of fun. The ramp coming down reminded me a lot of the ramps we saw in Ukraine.. Only this make-shift wooden one was much safer!
After lunch I swapped groups so that Mason could ride the horses. He didn't like the indoor sound, but once he was on the horse and they all got a feel for each other he had a good time. It was so darling to watch him on a horse. He loved it. I wish he could have had a longer turn.
I don't really think he was too ready to get down. It was a great stretch for his little stiff legs to straddle that horse too!
The part of the day I was most excited about was the adaptive bikes. I have to admit I was a tad disappointed that they didn't have the exact perfect bike for Mason, but I am a realistic person and perfect for Mason has to be completely custom made. That's why we spent about 15 minutes trying to customize the bike that seemed like it would be the best for him. It was awesome. The people in the bike shop were amazing and very happy to try anything to get Mason riding a bike.
It was a huge success. He LOVED the bike. We did this the longest. He was in heaven. He would have ridden that trike all day long if his darn feet would have stayed in the pedals. It only made me want a bike that much more. His legs got the greatest workout! He laughed and laughed. I have to figure out how to come up with three grand to get a bike for my Mason!~
What a great day. Look at his smile. He loved his day of adventures.
Finally the rest of the family showed up. They had to wait at home for Ethan's baseball game, but mostly for Victoria to come home from Youth Conference. She was not thrilled to get out of a car from a long drive, and into another car for another long drive. She made sure that everyone around knew just how miserable she was! Ezra and Ethan on the other hand jumped right in and had a great time. Ezra found a hand bike that he wouldn't get off of. He was pretty good at moving that little thing too.
Ethan picked a hand bike and he was really good at it. He kept saying, "Mom, I have got to get one of these bikes. It is awesome." It sure was awesome.
The boys loved that they all could ride bikes together. A first. I should have gotten a picture of all three of them. Too bad!
After the bikes we moved on to the high ropes course. Mason was fitted in a harness and a helmet and secured in a little sling and sent up about 20 feet in the air to swing. He was fine with it all and love to just lick the ropes clean. What a fun thing for him to do!.
Ethan was anxious for his turn and when I came over to see him he was harnessed and talking to one of the people who run the course. Andy (the really nice guy who helped us) had talked to Ethan about trying the 40 foot high wire walk. You simply climb a telephone pole and exit at 40 feet using these little hanging ropes to keep your balance as you walk across. It took absolutely zero encouragement from anyone to get Ethan up there. In fact, Spencer wasn't really around when he was being told what to do and when he was climbing at one point Spen said, 'hey Ethan, that's good enough~" but then he was brought up to speed on where Ethan was actually headed. We were amazed by how determined Ethan was to do that. I love that nobody even had to convince him that he could. He simply knew he could do it, it looked fun, and he did!
You have to look close to find little Ethan in this picture.. Yes, he's there. Almost to the other side.
Of course as Ethan was braving the ropes Ezra was suiting up for his turn. He was the same way and just decided what he wanted to do and found a guy to help him. He climbed up about 10 feet on his own with only the guides helping him. Then Ethan stepped in and asked if he wanted to try it again with Ethan this time. Of course he did.
With Ethan on the ropes he was more confident. He never really got scared either time on the cargo net. He followed Ethan up the entire way. It was high too! The guides were just giddy watching him. Nobody could believe that a 2 year old was doing it on his own! He is now a legend. I'm so proud.
These are my boys! Approaching the platform.
They made it and could barely be bothered getting their picture taken. They were too busy waving to the crowd of admirers who had gathered. It was fun to overhear the comments about how brave and darling Ezra was, and how sweet and compassionate Ethan was. They were celebrities.
Now to come down. That was the part where Ezra realized he hadn't thought this through completely. One of the guides climbed up eventually and talked Ezra through it and he came down happily and willingly. It was cute.
It really was a day that I will never forget. I wish that Victoria would have participated so there were fun pictures and stories of her to share! I was shocked that she didn't even want to ride the horse. But I suppose, she is a horse a lot of the time so that may not be such a fun thing for her! The important thing for me was that Mason had a wonderful adventure. Today was all about Mason for me and I am so thankful there are places like this that give him these amazing opportunities. Two months ago I stood in awe of a country that couldn't really accommodate a person to patronize a bank or a mall, let alone be suspended on a ropes course or ride bikes or horses! We live in an amazing place with amazing people to give us such opportunities. Mason really had a day I will never forget.



7 comments:
What a great day for your family. I loved this blog!!
AWESOME! I was excited for you guys just listening to you talk on Friday. How cool to see pictures and such now! What a cool experience. Sorry Vika was such a horse. LOL *hugs*
Geoff beat me blogging about this day: http://geoffreysagers.blogspot.com/2011/06/national-abilities-center.html
Our girls were not brave enough to go that high on the climbing! Wow!! Mason looks so good on the bike! How fun that they could all ride together. :D
It was so fun to hang out with you!
Kerry, this is so cool! I love that there are opportunities like this for Mason.
hey-while you are stuck in bed, try to skype me. i am bored out of my mind. my skype name over here is stephanieinzap. for some reason, i can't search for people, so you'll have to find me. kim and my husband did, so i think it should pull up. talk to you soon:) hope you are feeling alright and that your nanny rocks!!
I'm sorry every time I see this post I have to laugh about Vika pretending to be a horse. She will absolutely DIE someday when she realizes how old she was when she was behaving like this. Obviously, don't publish this comment. I don't know how to get ahold of you. I don't have your email address and I can't search for anyone on skype as I do not have a secure line (basically I am illegally linked to the introuist hotel). anyhow, search for me. My skype name here is stephanieinzap. I put a picture of that sphere thing made of those decorated eggs in Kyiv for my picture. Talk to you soon!!
This is a great post and simply shows what a great mom you are. Kind, patient, understanding, loving...you amaze us all. You bring out the very best in your kids, all of them, even your horse. :) Like Steph said, she will look back someday and not believe the way she was.
Post a Comment