On Monday (our vacation day) we had a pretty normal day to start. On Friday I had an emergency surgery done so I've been taking it pretty easy this weekend. Spen and Ethan took care of me all Saturday so they went to Sundance to ski for a few hours. Mase hasn't been sleeping so well but he napped like a champ that day. Ezra's birth mother came to visit today. We were having such a great time visiting that I didn't really notice how long Mase had been asleep. Spen and Ethan got home and visited with us.
I finally realized Mase had been sleeping for 4 hours! I decided to wake him up or he'd never go back to sleep tonight! That's when it all started. He wouldn't wake up. Not only would he not wake up, he wouldn't respond or react to anything I did. You can imagine how terrifying it would be to know your child was alive only by finding a pulse. He was breathing so shallow I couldn't tell he was breathing at all. We rushed him to his Dr. By the time we got to his office it had been about 45 minutes or so and he was a little less scary but still unresponsive. He was admitted with the diagnosis of a coma. Great.
After a full work up it was determined that he was in a medication induced coma. For some unknown reason his body stopped metabolizing his seizure med and the level had built up in his system with an obvious/ scary side effect. A normal therapeutic level for Mason is between 25-35. His came back at 65.
He's been pretty sedated and distant for the past 3 days but is starting to act more and more like our Mason. It is our 4th day here and we are sitting awaiting the news from the lab. Hopefully we get to go home to see the other 3 boys.
...
We ended up staying for 5 days this time. He had one seizure and we left with no real answers, just another thing to watch closely. He still has his pneumonia from the last hospital stay a few weeks ago, but it's slowly getting better! At least this time we got some smiles from the Masey Moose!
There were quite a few times when I couldn't get him to stop screaming at me. I was worn out and tired a lot more than usual since I was recovering from surgery while being there with Mason. When we'd get past the point of no return for him the ONLY thing that would put an immediate smile on his face was to call his 'Reg'. My mom. She talked and sang to him and he ate it right up! It was fun to see how happy hearing his grandma made him.. (here's a picture of him 'talking' to Reg.)
11 years ago



6 comments:
Wow Kerry! I am so sorry. If there is anything you need at all please let me know! You are so strong, and Wow Mason is a fighter!
So sorry girl i dont know why life has to be so hard. The lord is always with you. We will pray for you.
He is a stong kid! With an awesome mommy! That is so scary... I can only imagine how that must have been for you! We are praying for you guys!
oh, Kerry, yikes! I'm so sorry! Just give that boy some loves from me... you too...
How are things going?? I missed church so I haven't heard how things are. I hope all is going better. Let me know if I can help out with school pick ups and drop offs. Or watching the kiddos.
Kerry. My heart aches for you and the stress that you must be going through. I truly admire who you are and what you are doing with your beautiful family. Please call me if you need some playmates for your boys. My boys would love hanging out.
Post a Comment