I've had a lot of people asking me about what is going on with Mason and so I've decided to post what this past week had in store for him.... I've taken a lot of the emotional stress out of it and tried not to make it as scary as it was, but Mase was pretty sick this past week. Here's what happened..
Friday January 23rd:
I got a phone call from Mason's school letting me know that Mason was having a hard time breathing and they were concerned. I promptly took him and screaming Ez to the Dr. to be checked and to make sure that there wasn't something serious to worry about going on. Ez had an angry ear infection, and she sent Mason to have a DFA and sputum culture (RSV panal) -- (negative) and a chest X-ray (minor to moderate Broncheolitis).
We came home after those fun hours at the hospital and Mason promptly spiked a 105 temp. We did all we could to break it, including quite a few chilly baths! He whined and screamed ALL night. We got his fever as low as 102 at one point in the night, but I finally called his Dr. at 6:00 a.m. after watching the clock all night and we decided we'd better admit him to see what was going on.
Saturday January 24th:
Mason was admitted to the hospital with the diagnosis of high fevers and dehydration. He had all of the standard labs and cultures done which came back positive for a bacterial blood infection (strep pneumocaucas). He was started on a few IV antibiotics to help. His fever was hovering around 103 despite any attempts to lower it. We were hoping that he would run an extended course of IV antibiotics, possibly come home with a PICC line for that and he'd be OK. By night time he still was whining and screaming and they started him on morphine for the extreme pain. He was (and I was) finally able to sort of rest for about 2 hours.
Sunday January 25th:
Mason woke up trying to scream, but he couldn't breathe at 3 a.m. They called in the respiratory team to evaluate him, but he couldn't find clear breath sounds in his right side. His left side was very coarse. They took another X-ray and his right lung was so full of pneumonia you couldn't see any good lung on the picture. It was collapsed. He still had the fever that wouldn't go away, but at least now they knew that the source of the bacterial blood infection was from the bacterial pneumonia he had. Things were not looking good for Mason. This was the first time since NICU days that I wasn't sure if he could recover from this one. The entire day the RT would come in every hour and a half to do CPT, deep suction, and breathing treatments. We were also covered in cool wet towels at this point to try and lower his body temp.
I had held Mase all but a few hours up until my parents and Spencer came. Things started to look up a little by Sunday night, but only because of the diligent treatments of his RT. I was told that he would most likely develop a plural effusion and could potentially need a drain put in to get rid of the pooling fluid in his lung. We waited until after the 5:00 p.m. X-ray for them to tell us that we would not be sending him in the helicopter, yet...
Monday January 26th:
We still had our same RT who I am convinced saved Mason's life, (thank heavens!) He continued with his treatments and Mason's fever finally broke around noon. I finally stopped crying today and things were getting more managable. He was still so sick, but finally could rest without the fever. I was even able to get out of the bed with him and let him really relax! His labs weren't a whole lot better and the consolidated pneumonia was still pretty horrilbe. We were also able to see the plural effusion on the X-ray today. It was still too small to drain, no helicopter ride yet again! His fever would come back as soon as we let the treatment go too long. The morphine also would help him sleep. He was still on a large amount of oxygen too. He did sleep tonight though.
Tuesday January 27th:
Finally the labs started improving. Fevers kept coming back still. He's still getting regular RT treatments and still in isolation, but things are looking like they will get better. While my sister was with me, we were playing with Mase and we noticed that his eyes were tracking wierd and that they would twitch when he would look a certain way. It was scaring me, but the resident didn't think it was a big deal, it was!!
Tonight just as he started to fall asleep though he began to have full body seizures. This is not a normal thing for Mason and was a pretty big deal. They treated him after 25 minutes and when that didn't help gave him a 2nd dose. He finally stopped the full body seizure after close to an hour. His seizure then turned into a more non-responsive type seizure that he would come in and out of. This lasted for the next hour and a half-ish. He finally slept, I didn't!
Wednesday January 28th:
Pneumonia slightly improving. Today it became the secondary reason he was in the hospital. He is still being treated and watched closely for it, but it's officially under control. (Other than the building fluid I suppose.) He seized again during his afternoon nap, but it was short. Then he had another big, long, won't stop even with the max treatment seizure at bedtime.
This had the doctors scrambling for a cause. Brain abscess, and meningitis were the words and ideas that they decided were most likely. After the seizure was controlled he was sent for an emergency head CT with contrast to rule out these diagnoses. They did, thank goodness, but now we were back to not knowing what was going on. He finally slept well when we could leave him alone.
Thursday January 29th:
Today was the best Mason has looked or sounded all week. His pneumonia is still pretty bad, but he was able to have periods without his oxygen today! Big news!!! He seized again when he napped, which sent me running down to the pediatric clinics to try to find the pediatric neurologist. She ended up calling his attending Dr.'s and they decided to give him large doses of seizure medication to try and prevent more break through seizures from happening. He was completely snowed and high on the meds they gave him. He didn't, however, seize when he went to bed tonight.
Friday January 30th:
His labs and X-ray actually looked OK today. Finally. He was acting like Mase today. Finally! The Dr. wanted to keep him for his nap to be sure that he wouldn't seize again. His eyes have done the crazy wierd thing everytime before he has seized and they were doing it again, but when he napped he didn't seize. It was great! Maybe the meds suppressed it from going full blown! He had to get his IV meds all taken care of and we finally left for home tonight where he did not seize when I put him to bed!!
Saturday January 31st:
Home is great! It's hard to still have to maintain all of the treatments they were doing in the hospital by myself here though. He did have another seizure during his nap which sent me back to the hospital for more testing. They sent us home to await our results. When his Dr. called he was getting ready for bed, but he felt like the tests were OK. But then, he did it again. By the time I got his Dr. back on the phone it was over and Mase was asleep so when he suggested re-admitting for monitering I decided it wasn't the best thing for Mase. We'll just have to watch him here again I suppose. At least he is off his oxygen! I've been checking his vitals to tell his Dr. when we talk, but he's been great. We go back for follow up X-rays and labs on Monday. I'm hoping that we keep recovering!
11 years ago



10 comments:
we are thinking about you and praying thats for sure! so on thursday i was in mrs smiths class. wait it was wednesday (i was there both days) and ethan promptly told me mase was not ok. i always ask him so he must have known i would ask. then the next day spencer came in to help so i got a little detail. none the less i have been praying and thinking of you guys! hang in there. we have been there saylor has had pneumonia 3 times and rsv 5 times. we have a pulse oximitor and a nebulizer that get used way too often. just know we care and we are praying!
Holy cow Kerry. I am so sorry to hear about your scary and long week at the hospital. I hope that your tests come back good but I also hpe that you guys can figure out what is going on with little Mason. I'm thinking about yout guys!
I so sorry we didn't make it over to come visit. You guys have absolutely been in our prayers. I've been sick with the flu this week, so I figured you didn't need anyone to get sicker, but we've been thinking about and praying for you all. I hope Mase keeping improving!
Love ya,
Karie
Kerry- What a week, I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have been through the war and then some. I hope you are getting a little rest now that you are home. Our prayers are with you and your family. We hope Mason can recover quickly.
Oh dear! You have had quite the week. Those really are scarey things and I hope things continue to improve and they figure out what is causing those seizures!
Kerry! That sounds like a very emotional, painful and very stressful week! Poor Mason! I'm happy to hear things are settling down, I hope they find answers to all his testing!!
You guys are in our prayers!
Wow, baby Ezra is super cute! I keep wanting to tell you I want to see more pics of your boys! But I can not see you ever having time to do it! You are such a good Mom! I admire your strength and spirit!
You Shaws are tough people! What a week. If you need any help just let me know. I would be happy to take Ethan and Ezra for a few hours if you need a break.
Oh Kerry, I just don't know how you do it. I am so sorry for the struggles that you have gone through. You have to be one of the strongest people I know. I hope and pray that things get better for you all. Mason is in our prayers. If there is anything at all that we can do, please call. I know that you are surrounded by family and friends, but please know that I am thinking of you and want to help if I can. Good luck. Jenny Parker
Know that you and Mase are in our prayers! I can't even imagine what you have been through this past week but I hope things continue to improve.
Oh my goodness. I am SO sorry to hear that Mason is having such a hard time. I am here if you need a place for Ethan and Ez to come. Let me know if I can do anything for your family! I will keep your family in our prayers......
Post a Comment